I met Traci a couple months ago at Renegade Craft Fair in San Francisco. Her stunning black and white prints stopped me in my tracks. She mixes images and type to create gorgeous prints for your home. The best thing about Traci is her candid personality. I love how she states exactly what she will post pictures of on her Instagram feed, "Kid :: Husband :: Cat :: Design :: Eichler :: Coffee :: Travel" Read more about my thoughts on how she brands her Instagram feed here.
1. Who are you, what do you do, and how did it all begin?
I’m Traci Yau a graphic designer and dabbler of things. I own a small business called 45wall design. I split my time between being a freelance print designer, as well as making things (screen prints, concrete homewares, etc).
2. Where can we find you on social media?
Mainly Instagram: @45walldesign
3. Why do you use social media?
I like to give people a small glimpse of my life and my process. Plus it's a fun and quick way to promote my work and keep customers/clients updated on new things.
4. Which tools do you use for creating or posting content?
I shoot with a Canon Rebel Digital SLR and my iPhone. I use photoshop or the VSCO camera app for editing.
5. What effect does social media have on your business?
I’m still trying to figure that out! I like to think of it sort of as microblogging. It’s a really great to way quickly and easily get my new work and products out there.
6. How do you measure success on social media?
Honestly? I haven’t really thought about it. In the past year I’ve gained quite a few followers, but I’m not sure what they are coming for since I also lose a number of them each time I post. At this point, I’m just posting what makes me happy and not worrying too much about the success side of it.
7. What aspect of social media do you find most challenging?
Keeping the momentum going and trying not to get too worried about what others want to see.
8. What makes you follow another brand back?
I really love to see the process of a brand’s work. I also like small glimpses into their lives: what makes them tick, what inspires them. And quality photos. :)
9. Which brands have social media you admire?
10. Any advice for other brands just getting started on social media?
Quality photos is a must. Which is great because it’s possible with an iphone and the right editing software to get great photos easily. take time to compose and make sure your lighting is right. If you have gorgeous photos, people will come.